Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Age of the Infovore

email is free.
youtube is free.
amazon catalog and reviews are free.
pandora is free.
blogs are free.
new york times is free.
libraries are free.
wikipedia is free.
bittorent is free.
google is free.
the internet is free.

It is absolutely amazing the amount of information that is out on the internet that is free, completely free. There are ads embedded in some of this information, but nevertheless, the information is free.

There's a lot of talk about how price inflation is getting out of control and indeed for goods such as health care, higher education, housing, energy, prices are going up. But at the same time, the price of high-quality content is going down and access to that content is going up. For me, reading and learning about the world is a fundamental part of my identity and it's just what I do for fun. Competitive consumerism is not my thing.

I'm realizing that I don't need lots of money to be happy and content in this age of the Internet and I feel really good because of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment