Monday, July 26, 2010

Your Life

A: What would you do if you had a million dollars and could retire now?
B: I would travel the world.
A: Then what?
B: I don't know. Keep traveling the world.


I have nothing against traveling the world--in fact, I would probably say the same thing. But doesn't this response sound like a canned answer, like it's the cool thing to say, the right thing to say?


Again:
A: What would you do if you didn't have to work?
B: Travel.


I think we should ask ourselves these questions from time to time to see what's important to us. What is it that we want from this world? Most of the time, we're busy working 9 to 5, paying the bills, trying to impress other people, raising kids, and live life on auto-pilot. When we do get the time to reflect on what our life is for, the default choice is to go to church to get a shrink-wrapped, processed package of religion to give our life purpose. Not saying this is necessarily bad but why can't we use a little imagination, a little creativity, and a little more independent research? Instead of taking something prepackaged and ready-to-go, why not take the time to see if there is something better out there for you.


I think what I'm talking about here is self-actualization and people go about in many ways: religion, community service, kids, family, knowledge, art, etc. My only point is, do some comparsion shopping before you choose your poison.

No comments:

Post a Comment